Today, we have kind of a big announcement. …..
(Happy Labor day, btw.)
And the announcement is …
We’re adopting again!
In just a few short months,
this family of three will be a family of four.
I’d like you to meet “Shiloh” (which is not his real name, of course), the fabulous little boy we hope to soon call our son.
See Shiloh’s Reece’s Rainbow profile here.
Shiloh is currently living in an orphanage in an Eastern European country. We are hoping to travel soon — very soon! — to complete the adoption process and bring him home. We know a family who adopted another child from his orphanage, so while we have very few photos of Shiloh, many less than we had of Shanti, we already know a great deal about him and his personality thanks to the other family’s experience with him. Shiloh is a smart, friendly, energetic little boy who loves being outdoors and playing games with his friends. He will be a great fit for our family, and we can’t wait to bring him home.
To those of you who know us in real life, this announcement might come as a bit of a shock. We told very few people that we were considering “taking the plunge” a second time. I’ll write tomorrow about the twisty process that led us down the road for adoption #2, but for now, suffice it to say that we have never been so sure of the path God wants for us as we are right now, nor have we ever had to trust so completely that He would work out the seemingly insurmountable obstacles in our way. This is God’s will for us, and after much prayer and thought and consideration, we have decided to follow where God leads. We are excited, we are nervous, we are happy, we are scared. But most of all, we are placing all our faith in the One who promises to guide and protect His beloved children.
When I said earlier that we are hoping to travel very soon to bring Shiloh home, I meant it! We are possibly going to travel to his Eastern European country as soon as early December, a mere 3 months away. Because we just came back from our adoption with Shanti, which used most of our savings, and just bought our first house, which used all of the savings we had left, we are at rock bottom financially, without any significant savings to put towards the adoption. (I’ll explain more of the financial situation in a post later this week.) Finances are without a doubt the biggest way in which we are trusting God to provide. Because many of our approvals and clearances from Shanti’s adoption are still good, this adoption will be significantly less expensive than Shanti’s adoption, which gives us a bit of a head start on all the fees required. This adoption also won’t require us to live in Shiloh’s country quite as long as we had to live in Ukraine for Shanti’s adoption, reducing our travel and living expenses. All told, we are hoping to raise $23,000.
While this is a huge sum, it’s a total that is within reach. Already we’ve had several significant pledges of support, plus an offer of a $3,000 matching grant. WOW! As soon as the fundraising thermometer in the sidebar reaches $6,845, we’ll receive another $3,000, for a total of $9,845 — almost halfway to our goal! And that’s before we’ve even publicly announced our adoption or completed the paperwork to get our Reece’s Rainbow donation page set up! We trust that God will provide, and we pledge to follow His guidance and do His will.
If you’re interested in contributing to our adoption fund, visit our Get Involved page to find out how you can help.
Thank you all so much for your love, support, and kindness as we brought Shanti home last year. I hope you’ll rejoice, pray, and journey with us now as we once again step forward in faith to give this world one fewer orphan and one more beloved son.