We have two adoption benefit concerts scheduled in two different locations, one at our home church in Cincinnati, OH, and one at my parents’ church in Moneta, Virginia. If you live close to either place, I hope we’ll see you there! Here are the details:
- Giving Love Benefit Concert
Saturday, November 8, 2014, 4:00 pm
Cheviot United Methodist Church, 3820 Westwood Northern Blvd., Cincinnati, OH
Join us for a musical extravaganza that will include the CUMC Chancel Choir, Orchestra, and Youth Choir, as well as soloists from around the Cincinnati area. A reception will follow the concert, with silent auction items on display. A love offering will be collected during the concert, with 100% of the proceeds benefiting the Araya Family Reece’s Rainbow Family Support Fund.
- Orphan No More: An Adoption Fundraiser
Saturday, November 15, 2014
Bethlehem United Methodist Church, 13586 Old Moneta Rd, Moneta, VA
Arturo and Jennifer Araya will bring their musical duo to southern Virginia as they share an eclectic afternoon of music, featuring everything from their original arrangements for two cellos to old favorites by such familiar composers as Mozart and Haydn. The musical fare will include both classical and jazz, old hymn tunes and contemporary melodies. We hope you will join us for a musical celebration of life, family, and love. A reception will follow the concert, with silent auction items on display. A love offering will be collected during the concert, with 100% of the proceeds benefiting the Araya Family Reece’s Rainbow Family Support Fund.
Our first silent auction, which concluded September 26, was a huge success. When the auction donations and winning bids all came in, the full tally was over $1,000! Wow! We have a second silent auction scheduled, and this one will be a bit different than the first. Rather than being fully online like our first auction, our next silent auction will run in conjunction with our benefit concerts, with an online component to allow for extra bidding. Right now, we’re still accepting donations of items to include in the auction, and we’ve already got a great selection! Of course, we will need bidders once the auction opens on November 8. Attend one of our benefit concerts to see all the items in person, and check our blog regularly to make sure your bid ends up on top! Here are the details:
- Bids to Bring Home Shiloh: Silent Auction
Saturday, November 8 – Midnight on Monday, December 1
A wide variety of treasures, from jewelry to baked goods and everything in between, will be available for purchase, with 100% of proceeds benefiting the Araya Family Reece’s Rainbow Family Support Fund. Auction items will be on display at the two benefit concerts, on Nov. 8 in Cincinnati and Nov. 15 in Moneta, VA, and most items will also be available for viewing and bidding online on the Araya blog. Bidding will close promptly at midnight on December 1, “Cyber Monday” after Thanksgiving. Let the bidding begin, and may the best bidder win!
Items for Sale:
We have several individual items for sale. If you’d like to purchase any of the items listed below, leave a comment or send us an email: jenniferjill.araya (at) gmail (dot) com.
- “For Unto Us a Child Is Born” Araya Christmas Album – Two years ago, Arturo and I recorded a Christmas album that includes Christmas carols arranged by us for two cellos and for cello and voice. Our original arrangements are also accompanied by musical readings of the Christmas scriptures. Purchase a copy for yourself, or give it as a Christmas gift to a friend. $12 donation each, plus $5.50 in shipping if shipping is necessary. 100% of the purchase price goes directly to our adoption.
- Christmas Bundle for Wee Ones - This set of Christmas activity books is perfect for the 3- to 6-year-olds in your life. The bundle includes the picture book “Night Like No Other” and “Good News Great Joy: Gospel Fun for Little Ones Activity Book,” both packaged in an adorable little goodie bag. $3 donation each, plus $2 in shipping if shipping is necessary. 100% of the purchase price goes directly to our adoption.
- Christmas Bundle for Children – Designed for older children, ages 7 – 12, this Christmas bundle is a great way to bring a bit of Christmas cheer to your child. The bundle includes the “Good News Great Joy: Activity Book” and a set of “Good News Great Joy: Nativity Wall Stickers.” The wall stickers will also work on windows and are sure to be a hit with the kids in your life. (Let me tell ya, the wall stickers are awesome, and I would have loved them when I was that age. …. Who am I kidding, I kinda want a set for myself now!) $2 donation each, plus $2 in shipping if shipping is necessary. 100% of the purchase price goes directly to our adoption.
- Starfish Earrings – One of the recent campaigns through Reece’s Rainbow celebrates the legend of the starfish. It goes like this: One day, a man was walking along the beach and saw a boy picking something up and gently throwing it back into the ocean. Approaching the boy the man asked, “What are you doing?” The youth replied, “Throwing starfish back into the ocean. The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them back out, they’ll die.” “Son,” the man said, “Don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach with hundreds and hundreds of fish? You can’t make a difference.” After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish, and threw it back into the surf. Then, smiling at the man, he said, “It made a difference to this one!”
With this beautiful story in mind, one of our friends in the adoption community designed Starfish Earrings in honor of our adoption of Shiloh. Every time the earrings are worn, you can remember that, while you can’t save every orphan or help every adoptive family, you can make a difference to this one. Each pair of earrings costs $15, which includes all shipping costs. $5 from each pair sold goes directly toward our adoption expenses.
A Note About Shipping: For the Christmas Album and both Christmas Bundles, shipping is only necessary if you do not live in the greater Cincinnati area. If shipping is necessary, we would be happy to combine shipping to reduce the shipping cost for these three items. Just contact me, and I’ll help you figure out your combined shipping cost. However, the Starfish Earrings are made and shipped by an incredibly generous donor who does not live in Cincinnati. All earring purchases will need to be shipped, but the shipping cost is included in the $15/pair purchase price.
Shop in Alicia Araya and Jim Hickey’s Etsy store
Arturo’s sister Alicia and her husband Jim have agreed to donate 25% of revenue from their Etsy store to Shiloh’s adoption fees. Alicia and Jim produce awe-inspiring and 100% one-of-a-kind wood art pieces in their North Carolina studio. Most of these pieces are crafted from magical pieces of driftwood that the rivers in Appalachia create. They also craft wood jewelry, affordable digital prints, fine art pieces, photography, and other decorative home items. Please visit their store here.
Shop Amazon Through Our Link
We’re signed up as Amazon Affiliates, and every dollar earned through the affiliate program will directly support our adoption. It works like this: instead of navigating to Amazon.com directly, you can first visit our website and click the Amazon link in the sidebar, or any of the Amazon links on this page. Then, shop Amazon as you normally do. Any purchase you subsequently make from Amazon will send a percentage back to us. The exact percentage varies depending on the product type, but its generally between 1-5% of your purchase price. This isn’t a huge amount, but it can quickly add up, especially as we approach the Christmas season and more people begin making online gift purchases in preparation for the holiday season. Every little bit makes a difference.